Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thank You Lord, for My Dog Anna

by Valerie



I would never be able to thank God enough for the blessing of my wonderful dog, “Anna”. And I’d like to share with you, my family and friends, the special way He brought her into my life!

Going back about a year . . . I used to have a black ewe named “Hope”. Last spring, when it was time for her to have her lambs, she had them pretty early. But God protected my two lambs, S.C. (short for Self Control), and Love. He gave me the joy of having lambs! Although one of them died of bloat, and I sold the other one, I had a lot of fun with them. I especially enjoyed getting to bottle feed them. All this time my ewe, Hope, was very skinny and she was very sick too. Hope never became healthy again, so we had to put her out of her misery. Though it was a very sad time, God let Hope die because He knew that my real heart’s desire was to have a herding dog!

So we began looking on Craig’s List for border collies. But, we soon found out that the border collies’ instinct to herd is so strong that they have the potential to nip at little kids. And since we have two “littles”, we decided we shouldn’t take that chance. So God closed the door on getting a border collie. We then started looking into Australian shepherds. We saw an older male Australian shepherd on Craig’s List. We called the owner and he said that they did not have him anymore.

I’m pretty sure it was that same day that Mommy went to the grocery store and happened to see an ad for a mini Australian shepherd posted on the bulletin board in front of the store. It was a hand-written note with no picture on it. So Mommy ripped off one of the slips with their phone number, and we called the owners as soon as she got home! Since their home was nearby, we ended up going to see her that night. And I fell in love with her! She was the sweetest and most gentle dog I had ever met. Also, during our brief visit with her owners, we learned that they are Christians and that they needed to find a new home for Anna because they were planning to move to California to attend a Bible school there.

But Daddy was away on a business trip, and we knew we should talk with him about her. We also needed some time to pray about it! So that next morning, we called the owners back and told them we would love to have her. We asked when would be a good time to come and get her. They said probably the sooner-the-better as the mom was especially sad to see her go. The mom had rescued her from a breeder where she was being neglected and mishandled in her first few months of life. So she was very attached to her and loved her very much.

When we went to get her, the mom said that she had been praying for six months for just the right family to adopt her. And the Lord brought us along at just the right time and allowed us to be the ones to have her! It was truly a “match made in heaven”!

So my sheep dying, not being able to get that male Australian shepherd, not finding anything else on Craig’s List, and leading us away from a border collie, was all a part of God’s great plan and purpose for me and Anna. What a tremendous blessing it is to have a God that cares this much for all of His people! I could not ask for a more loving God and better dog!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice story Valerie and I love your picture. You are blessed to have Anna and Anna is blessed to have you. A perfect match.

It is so nice to know that we have a Lord who cares about the big things and the little things in our life. Of course it sounds like Anna was and is a pretty BIG thing in your life. Let's hope you have many more years of Anna's companionship. Love, Meemom

The Bowes Family said...

Dear Quadgranny,

Thank you sooooo much for your sweet comment! The Lord really did bless me with Anna! And I do hope we will have a lot more years together!!!! But,I do know that I love my Meemom much, much more than my dog!!!! Thanks so much for commenting on all our posts! I love you sooooooooooo much!

Love,
Valerie

LEE said...

Valerie’s Anna with eye of blue
Chases the wet morning dew

Anna receives Valerie’s love
A wonderful friend to dream of

Anna has a great true friend
who gives her love of no end

Valerie your story is very heart warming. I know Anna will recieve lots of love ans she will give you lots of love.

Love you BIG BUNCHES many times over,
Grandpa

The Bowes Family said...

Dear Grandpa,

Thank you for your sweet little poem and your encouraging comment!! Great job on the poem!
You have been such a wonderfully great Grandpa to me and my family!

The Lord truly blessed me with Anna! And I surely did not deserve such a BIG blessing!!!!!!!

Love you great BIG bunches!!!!!!
Valerie

LEE said...

MELVIN ZWICK in a world of rhyme
Although his poems are a crime

All day long rhyming words a must
Turns his brain to saw dust

Grandpa needs to do his work
Making things of bright work

But Grandpa sits all day long
Helping Zwick rhyme a song

Every word we think
Must be rhymed in ink

You kids do not know how you have challenged me, Grandpa and Melvin Zwick with your excellent poems and stories. Your stories and poems warm my heart and challenge Melvin Zwick.

I love you more that all the words can explain,
Grandpa

The Bowes Family said...

Dear Grandpa,

That was a wonderful poem, Grandpa! You're coming right along on your poetry! Way to go! Maybe you are where we are getting our developing poetry skills from! It can be habit forming, huh? Maybe it will keep Melvin Zwick out of trouble!

We are so glad that you like our poetry and creative writings! We have been really encouraged with this blog as we receive such wonderful comments. Thank you so much!

We love you!

Valerie, for the Bowes Bunch

Ted and Karen said...

Sweet Valerie,

God couldn't have given you a better pet than sweet Anna. Her personality is just like you. We saw her even before Daddy did.Remember we were there last summer coming back from Alaska? We can tell Anna adores you about as much as we adore you. Love the piture. G & P

The Bowes Family said...

gDear Papa and Grammie,

Thank you sooo very much for your sweet and encouraging comment!!! I absoulutely love recieving your comments!!!!:)

God truly did bless me with Anna!! I could not ask for a better dog!!

And yes, I do remember when you came from Alaska and visited us! That was funny that you saw Anna before even Daddy did.

I love you sooooo much and look forward to seeing you again this summer!

Love,
Valerie

Anonymous said...

Dear Valerie,
Thank you for such a precious testimony of how God cared for you so personally and practically.
It made me think of one of my favorite verses:

“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11

I want you to know I still have a gift you gave me. It's a little silver ring with a heart shaped pink jewel. The picture in the jewel is a cute little crab. I thought you would get a kick out of that.
Love,
Mrs. Eagle

Anonymous said...

Valerie--

You are learning truths about the way God works that many older believers still don't know! I'm impressed that you know God's character well enough that you trust Him even when sad or bad things happen--like your sheep dying.

You are a good writer as well. You must have a good teacher. :)

Mrs. Holmes

The Bowes Family said...

Dearest Mrs.Eagle,

Thank you sooooooooo much for your sweet comment!! It was so very encouraging to me!! Also, I enjoyed the beatiful verse, too. You are still as sweet and loving as I remember!

That is so funny that you still have that ring! I don't even remember giving that to you.

The Lord surely blessed me with Anna!!! And I can't even start to express my gratefulness to our Creator!!

Thanks for reading our blog!

Love,

Valerie

The Bowes Family said...

Dearest Mrs. Holmes,

Thank you sooo much for your encouraging words on my post about Anna! So glad you were able to leave a comment!!!

Yes, I am learning more and more about my Heavenly Father every day,
and that I truly can trust Him in both good and bad times!

We trust Elisabeth got home safely, and we can't wait to see her Sunday!

With much love,

Valerie