Monday, May 19, 2008

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things . . .

One of our family's favorite tools for encouraging us in our creative writing endeavors is a blog called "Just Write" (http://www.hsjustwrite.blogspot.com/). It is hosted by a home-schooling mom who posts creative writing "assignments" for all of us to consider, and if we so choose, we can leave our "masterpieces" on her blog by way of the "comments" box. It has been a very fun way to keep us writing and to see what creative things others are writing as well.

This week's assignment is titled "Happy Lists". All we needed to do was think about all the things that make us happy in life. But the creative twist is to plug these favorite/happy things into an acrostic of our names.

Below you will find some of our family's favorite things!

Now, we think it would be great fun to see YOUR favorite things!

For the acrostic part of it, you can use your first, middle, last, nickname, title (like Mommy, Grandpa), etc. You don't need to worry about spending much time on it or your spelling, grammar, etc. We didn't either!

For those of you who may be new to leaving a comment, it is very simple. Just go down to the bottom of this post and click on where it says "comments". It will take you to a box where you can create your acrostic. Then, below that, where it says "choose an identity" just select any of those options by clicking on one of the circles/bubbles. (The easiest is the one that says "anonymous".) Then, just click on the "publish comment" box!

We look very forward to seeing what you come up with!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

K - Kin (parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc.)
Y - Years of happiness with my family
L - Living a life for the Lord
E - Every new day

J - Joy!
O - Oh, I can't forget my dog, Dan
S - Summer days on the beach
I - I enjoy snowfalls in winter, too!
A - All sorts of candy
H - Having Christ in my life

B - Baseball
O - On a winning baseball team this year
W - Wonderful sisters
E - Every bro I have
S - Snakes! (Either the slithery kind or the Diamondbacks, my favorite professional baseball team!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

V - Violin teacher
A - Anna, my Australian shepherd
L - Loving grandparents
E- Each of my sisters and brothers
R - Riding the lawn mower
I - Irresistable monkey bread
E - Every new morning as I listen to the birds chirping happily

H - How my Lord loves me!
O - Overlooking Swofford Pond
P - Practicing hospitality, especially baking:)
E - Either snowy or sunny days

B - Both my absolutely wonderful parents
O - Oh, my cutie-patootie baby brothers!
W - Wonderful smelling candles
E - Encouraging church family
S - Sweet friends

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

L - Listening to music
Y - Yummy fruits of any sort
D - Doing writing assignments, particularly poems
I - Indescribable Lord Jesus
A - All lambs and sheep of most breeds

G - Gardens of flowers
R - Reading any book, especially historical fiction
A - All my loving family and friends
C - Caroline, Valerie, Victoria, all my sisters
E - Every brother, Kyle, Timothy and Joseph!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


C - Candy, my very favorite treat
A - All of my fluffy goats
R - Rambunctious little brothers
O - Occassionally, we go to the beach which is so fun!
L - "Limey Lou", one of our little black lab puppies
I - In the springtime, I love going to the Youth Fair
N - New songs to learn and play on the piano
E - Especially Angel, our guardian llama

J - Jesus, is, of course, my most favorite
O - Oh, I love my wonderful parents
Y - Yes, I do love the warm summertime

B- Beautiful flowers
O - Oh, I do love my sisters and brothers
W - Well, I love ice-cream, especially cookies-n-cream
E - Easter, because it is a wonderful reminder of what Christ did for us
S - Sunshine is the best


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

V - Violins
I - Irresistable smell of muffins baking in the oven
C - Caring and loving sisters, brothers and parents
T - The Bible
O - Our llama, Angel, guardian of the pasture
R - Really enjoy baking
I - Igloos that we make in the wintertime
A - Animals of all sorts

F- Family and friends
A- All or our dogs
I - In the early morning, going fishing with Daddy
T - The sound of horses hooves on pavement
H - Horses of any color and kind

B- Beautiful birds chirping in the trees
O - Opening gifts on our birthday and on Christmas
W - Water fights in the summertime
E - Everything about my Lord
S- Sunshine, my goat


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M - Many laughing children
O - Oh, the wonderful love of family!
M - My dear husband's sense of humor
M - My three-year-old singing in the bathroom
Y - Yearly fun of enjoying the season at Thanksgiving and Christmastime and all the sweet memories made

O - Ocean sounds, sights, and smells
R - Really fragrant things, like soaps, candles and flowers

M - Miss Debbie teaching us girls how to sew
R - Rainbows
S - Smell of freshly bathed babies

R - Rain (everything about it!)
O - Oh, the smell of baked bread or goodies in the oven
B- Beautiful Savior
Y - Yummy chocolate
N - Newborn cuddles

B - Beauty in the countryside all around our home
O - Oh, the sounds and sights of hummingbirds
W- Watching our children grow in wisdom and stature
E- Everything about the fall season
S - Smell and sound of campfires or fires in fireplaces

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

D- Delightful brothers & sisters in
Christ - on the opposite
coast
E- Experiencing someone else's life
through well-crafted
essays
E- Evenings calm... with children
in bed, bird chirping,
fingers tapping on keyboard
D- Dog who won't stop pacing the
floor, wondering if we
forgot to feed her (oops!)
E- Excitement of daily discovering
life all over, through the
eyes of younger ones (yours
and ours)
E- Exasperating electronic devices
that God uses to introduce
my family to friends we
might never have met : )

(Thanks for your sweet post, and for all the warm and artistic touches you all add to the Just Write blog!)

Anonymous said...

M- My creator and Savior
E- Every precious grandchild of
mine
E- Everthing chocolate, and
basically anything good to eat
M- My loving husband
O- Our beautiful sunsets
M- My loving daughters

S- Seeing all the Christmas lights
and enjoying the Christmas
season
N- Nourishing friendships
E- Enjoying good health
L- Lovely flowers of any kind,
especially tulips and roses
L- Listening to music
I- Inviting Laura Ingram, Rush
Limbaugh, Shawn Hannity, and
Bill O'Reilly into my home each
day
N- Never tiring of dancing


G- Going to the NW to visit my
family and visit our home in
Mossyrock

The Bowes Family said...

Dear DeeDee,

What a pleasure it is to find your sweet comments here! Thanks so much!

It is very special for us, too, to be aquainted with such delighful brothers and sisters on the opposite coast! We are so grateful for this fun opportunity!

Sounds like we have a lot in common! : )

With love,

Robyn, for the Bowes Bunch

The Bowes Family said...

Dear Meemom,

We loved your list of favorite things! You did such a great job! Way to go! They are all beautiful things and describe you so well! Having YOU HERE is one of our favotire things as well!

We love you more than all the dandelions that are in all of our acreages!

Robyn

LEE said...

M-Momma Bowes whose chocolate loving is second only to MELVIN ZWICK
E-Every word Grandpa’s Grandkids write
L-Lots of all color M and Ms
V-Valerie and Victoria
I-Imothy What the heck I, MELVIN ZWICK, do not have a “T” in my name
N-Never running out of stories for MELVN ZWICK to tell


A-And Computer expert Pappa
L-Lydia
W-Whole bunches of Chocolate covered Strawberries.
A-All of Grandpa’s daughters and Grandkids
Y-Yummy Green corn tamale, Baja style
S-Slushy root bear floats so thick you have to eat with a spoon


G-Goseph, What the keck I, MELVIN ZWICK, do not have a “J” in my name
O-Oodles of chocolate with almonds
O-Oodles of praline and cream ice cream
F-Furry kitties
E-ESCAPE Crew, Every Sheep Can Always Plan Escapes. Thanks Kyle
Y-Yummy German Chocolate cake


Z- Zeal of Grandpa’s family
W-White and Black kitties
I-Ice cold Crystal Lite drink in the summer time
C-Caroline
K-Kyle

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your comments about what you liked most. It says alot about each of you and reveals the inner you. Good job.... Love, Meemom

Anonymous said...

G - Going to see lots of movies with all my friends.
A - Acting on stage!
B- Being together with family and friends.
R- Reading great books!
I- I don't think there's any other possible way to start a sentence with 'I' other than the way I did. LOL!
E- Elk watching! We took some international friends out once, we had fun!
L- Listening to my friends perform whatever instrument they play.

B- Bowling. Yeah I know, I hated it but now I love it! :)
A- Accidentally calling someone, who ended up thinking that 'you' did accidentally called them and then having it end up the other way around. (Sorry, I think I just 'accidentally' made that up. JK LOL)
R- Racing with friends? IDK I couldn't really think of anything...
A- Am I going to get just the same letters? LOL
K- Kim! My mom!

E- Eating out, though 'only' at certain restaurants.
A- Again! I go the same letter! This is hard!
G- Going to dance party!
L- Laughing... "Do you have what it takes?" I finally understand that now! ;) It's a long story...
E- Expecting a movie to be great but then it blows you away and it's the best in the world! Like Prince Caspian!!!!!!!!!! GO SEE IT!!!!

The Bowes Family said...

Hi Grandpa!

Excellent list of favorite things! We loved it! Thanks for participating!

The Bowes Ranchers!

The Bowes Family said...

Hi Gabriel!

Wow! What a great list! And funny too! We really enjoyed reading your favorite things. Thanks so much for joining in the fun . . .even though you had some challenging letters to work with! You did great!

So glad you liked Prince Caspian so much! That is awesome!

The Bowes Bunch

Anonymous said...

K - keeping God's commands
I - Immanuel
M - Many hugs, mustard, and monkeys

L - love of the Lord
E - evening walks
O - onions, olives, and the ocean
N - notes from loved ones
N - newness of life in Christ
E - encouragement: received and given

E - eating food and fellowshipping with family and friends
A - Autumn trees glistening and shimmering splashes of red, yellow, gold and orange
G - gifts from God: Barry and Gabriel
L - laughing with loved ones and friends
E - EAGLES: Those who wait upon the Lord will renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles and run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked it. Sorry... some of it probably did't make sense, but among my friends and I, it does... LOL

The Bowes Family said...

Hi Kim!

What a beautiful list of favorite things! (Well, maybe all but the mustard, monkeys, olives and onions! Hee, hee! What happened to all things peanut butter and chocolate? Of course, you don't have a "P" or "C" to work with in your name! Or maybe your culinary delights have changed in twenty years? Or more likely, my long term memory has failed!:) I enjoyed learning some new things about you:) And we still have lots in common! Thanks so much for participating!

Lots of love,

Robyn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Gabriel!

No need for it to all make sense! Glad you had fun with it! We enjoy your sense of humor!

Mrs. Bowes